We are pleased to invite applications for postgraduate study commencing October 2015 within the Condensed Matter & Photonics and Musical Acoustics groups. The available projects are listed below.
Photonics & Biophotonics
- Multiplex coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering microscopy and its application to living cells;
- Characterizing individual nanoparticle optical extinction, size, and zeta-potential in solution with high throughput;
- Quantum coherence and carrier dynamics in colloidal nanostructures from dots to platelets;
- Carrier dynamics in 2D Optoelectronic Materials;
- Multidimensional non-linear spectroscopy and coherent manipulation of single and coupled quantum dots;
- Time Resolved Spectroscopy of Single Photon Centres in Diamond for Quantum Computing.
Quantum Materials & Devices
- Spin Manipulation in Narrow Band Semiconductors;
- InSb Zener Mesoscopics;
- Quantum Devices in Narrow Band Semiconductors.
- Preparation and Characterisation of Magnetocaloric Materials for Energy Applications
- Stable high-efficiency materials for solar cells
Nanoscale Science & Technology
- Electron Transfer in Single Enzyme Molecules;
- Nanoscale molecular semiconductors;
- Novel protein-based sensors with hybrid materials;
- Novel Route to Composite Multiferroics;
- Three-Dimensional Artificial Spin-ice;
- GaN Nanowire Laser Sensor;
- Seeing Nanostructures in New Ways;
- Movies of Quantum Structure Formation using Low Energy Electron Microscopy;
- Searching For a Positional Charge Ice;
- Nanodiamond for Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems (MEMS);
- Nanostructured Materials as Potential Photocatalysts for Water Treatment.
- LEEM-MBE nanostructure nucleation dynamics.
- High-Throughput AFM-based Nano Machining for Applications in Nano Magnetism
Theory & Computational Physics
- Resonant state expansion for relativistic and non-relativistic wave equations;
- Resonant state expansion for optical biosensing, fibre optics and mode control in microlasers.
- Exciton-Phonon-Photon Dynamics in coupled Quantum Dots embedded in Photonic Cavities;
- Electrical transport in Graphene nanoribbons;
- Monte-Carlo and molecular dynamics simulation of Solid Polymer Electrolytes;
- Heat/phonons transport in diamond semiconductor nanostructures;
Imaging, Sensors & Instrumentation
- Tunable THz laser source;
- THz techniques for studies of protein structure and dynamics;
- THz Metamaterial development for quasi optical devices;
- Large format THz imaging arrays suitable for industrial applications.
- Single Photon Counting Kinetic Inductance Detectors.
- Plucked string instrument dynamics and sound radiation: comparative studies of families of instruments;